Types of Acne:
- Mild/Occasional: Minor pimples, small in size and occasional in frequency. Usually on forehead and nose. Can include small amounts of blackheads and whiteheads (milia).
- Moderate: Many blackheads and whiteheads, appearance of inflamed small red bumps (papules), formation of pus-filled bumps with a white head (pustules). Can occasionally spread from forehead and nose to other areas of face, neck, chest and back. If not treated, and picked at, can progress to severe acne.
- Severe: Many more blackheads, whiteheads, papules and pustules. Skin is much more reddened and inflamed, and inflamed acne lesions create a hard, painful bump under the skin (nodules). Occurs on face and often affects other parts of the body including neck, chest, shoulders, and upper back. Scarring becomes more likely as infection spreads and becomes deeper. If not treated, can progress to cystic acne.
- Cystic: Many, many more blackheads, whiteheads, papules, pustules, and nodules. Cysts, soft fluid-filled lumps under skinâs surface, begin to appear. Cysts are large, red and very painful. Redness, inflammation and breakouts are most severe. Can spread to other areas of body including the entire back, chest, shoulders and upper arms. Infection in this form is deep and widespread, and most often results in scarring.
- Hormonal: Caused by many different hormonal changes in the body including: puberty, medication, menstruation, pregnancy. Usually occurs on the chin, lower areas of cheeks, and jawline.
Most Common Active Ingredients:
- Salicylic Acid: works as an exfoliant, promoting the removal of dead skin cells, penetrating follicles, and helping clear pores of cellular debris. Best for treating blackheads and whiteheads (comedonal acne).
- Benzoyl Peroxide (BPO): works to kill bacteria on the skin that causes acne. Best for inflamed acne, red bumps, and pus-filled bumps.
- Lactic Acid: works to promote exfoliation and resurfacing of skin without drying. Also helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles, scarring, and dark spots.
- Glycolic Acid: works in aiding exfoliation to improve skin's appearance and texture and can help reduce pores. Also helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles, scarring, and dark spots.